Friday, 20 August 2010

HG Series - MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer

If you read my CCO haul then you would have probably guessed this post was coming up. Yep, let me introduce my holy grail concealer.. MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer.




As I have, for as long as I remember, had fairly icky skin, I have always been on the search for the perfect concealer which will help cover up my blemishes, whilst not emphasising them by being too dry as my skin is very dry to begin with. So the problem for me was the lack of liquid concealers on the market. Over the years I have tried various types of concealer (mostly drugstore brands); cover up sticks (in the lipstick like tube), ones in pots, the heavy duty scar hiding sort which was more like plastering my face than anything else, definitely not a natural finish! They all weren't to my fancy, most being too drying for my skin and not actually covering decently enough for me. Also most of the liquid concealers available are generally aimed at being under-eye concealers so have highlighting and light reflecting properties, which is not really what I was aiming for on my face.
I really enjoyed using the Natural Collection Cover-Up Cream for a while, which was as close to the effect I was looking for as possible and at £1.99 it was a steal! However I was still searching for more coverage (as you can probably tell, I am a fussy bugger!), and so I came across this little beauty on one random trip to the Trafford Centre.




 



So here's a pointless little swatchy for you. It does look a little dark for my skin, but as I have quite a bit of redness on my face it works perfectly to cover this up. It is a fairly thick creamy liquid which
 covers blemishes and redness wonderfully and provides a natural finish, not cakey or drying. You only need the smallest amount as it is very pigmented. I have just finished my second tube, and will continue to repurchase, until something better comes along, I really want to try Estee Lauder's Double Wear Concealer. I wouldn't recommend this for under eye use, it's a little too liquidy for that and doesn't really brighten well enough for me, however it didn't settle any lines. 


                  Pros                                                          Cons
                  - Covers blemishes well                                 - Relatively expensive (£12.50 for 10ml)
                  - Not drying                                                 - Not widely available for me at least
                  - Wide range of shades to suit all skin tones      as I don't live that close to a MAC counter
                  - Natural finish
                  - Hygienic application, doe foot applicators can
                    harvest bacteria over time especially when
                    applied on blemishes.

Just incase any of you where wondering, I got into my first choice uni, so as of September 20th I will be studying Economics at The University of Manchester!!!
I hope everyone got the results they wanted :)
Thanks for reading,

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting in to University!
    I got my AS results and they weren't too good.. so I need to retake and knuckle down :/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done for getting into university! especially with the 200,000 people not getting in this year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still looking for the perfect liquid concealer. I'm using a GOSH one currently but still on the lookout for something better. I'll have to keep an eye out for this next time I'm near a MAC store :) Congratulations on your A Level results! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting into Manchester, I was up there the other day for the first time and the city has a great vibe. I studied History at uni but wish I took Economics as it's far more career-friendly! (and considering that I went to LSE! Doh!)
    Now, onto the beauty...I've been wondering about this concealer for a while as I have the one in the pot (name escapes me) and find it drying under my eyes and settling into the fine lines. But I wonder if the coverage is thick enough for dark undereye circles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Louise Thanks hun, my AS results weren't too great either, but its the kick up the bum I needed to get focused! Thank god for resits haha!
    @Adele Thankss :) I knoww thats all I heard on the news when I couldn't get onto UCAS :| I was soo worried !
    @Kim I use the Gosh concealer under my eyes atm too, I'm thinking off trying MACs moisture cover next.
    @Kat I don't use this one under my eyes, it just doesn't work well for me, I think it is a little too liquidy. I use Gosh's Touch-Up No 2 which is a thick creamy formula and the perfect peachy colour to correct under eye circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant, thats just the advice i needed, thankyou! xxx

    ReplyDelete