Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Review: MAC Pro Longwear Foundation and Concealer

Hi there lovelies,
So I recently tried my new MAC purchases; Pro Longwear Concealer and foundation, here's what I thought...



Pro Longwear Concealer (£12.50 for 9ml)


The first thing I realised was that a little went a really long way! It is so pigmented you really only need the tiniest amount to cover anything effortlessly. It covers beautifully, leaving an extremely natural finish, I actually couldn't believe how good it was! It literally stains your skin, as I found out when I tried to remove what I was using from the back of my hand, which I suppose is what gives it it's 'longwear' name! Its a slightly more yellow shade than the foundation which is perfect to elimiate redness of blemishes and discolouration of the skin. I use a large eyeshadow blending brush (MAC 224) to blend this in as I find this provides a perfect airbrushed natural finish and actually covers better. The only thing I didn't like was that it settled in lines under my eyes, which wasn't too attractive! But saying that it blew my old HG concealer (MAC select cover-up) out of the water in terms of how pigmented it is.



Pro Longwear Foundation (£22 for 30ml)
I started to apply this with my Elf Powder Brush, which was a mistake, I should have used my hands! The foundation, like the concealer, is a sort of stain-like formula (if you get what I mean) meaning it drys relatively quickly so it can be a pain to blend using a buffing brush, which tended to apply the product too densely in one place. So when I applied it with my hands it went on perfectly. It didn't dry completely matte it sort of made my skin feel stiff, because of its stainish quality (if that makes sense), but when set (I used mineralise skinfinish natural) it felt matte and silky and actually like skin which I loved! I would say it is a medium coverage, definitely not flawless, but buildable if needed. It is a much more natural finish than the likes of Studio Fix Fluid which I find leaves the skin feeling slightly sticky and just feels heavy and cakey.
Now how did it hold up? Well, I don't know about its claim to stay put for 15 hours because I'm rarely ever awake for that long. I joke, but yeah, I try to take off my makeup as soon as I can so I had this on for maybe 10 hours. It did stay put, quite well infact, and it did somehow manage to keep quite a bit of shinyness at bay which I was surprised about as my skin can get so oily with the wrong base, I did still have to touch up only because I am a shine-a-phobe! Usually when I come to take my make-up off my foundation is close to sliding all over my face (lovely, I know!!) but with this it really wasn't. I would say, it is very much like Estee Lauders Double Wear or Revlon Colourstay, in the sense that it stays put, but slightly less coverage so it looks and feels more natural!


Out of the two I think the concealer is the stand out for me, mainly because I currently love my foundation routine (combination of Estee Lauders Double Wear and Revlon Colourstay to make it slightly lighter as I got a completely wrong shade) and I am going through a slightly bad skin phase so I need a fuller coverage. I will probably use the Pro Longwear when my skin is better and for when I need my foundation to stay put all day eg work/uni. If you want to see a FOTD featuring this foundation, check down a few posts :)

 Thanks for reading,

Please bare in mind when reading this that I am obviously no expert, I probably have no idea what I am talking about :P. This is just my opinion and my thoughts of how I find it and how it reacts with my skin. Everyone is different therefore you may have a completely different opinion to myself.

11 comments:

  1. Nice review :) How much was the concealer if you dont mind me asking?

    Daisy :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Daisy - Oops I completely forgot to put that on haha, it was £12.50 :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I really want to try the concealer (:
    P.s - A bit random, but i love the quality of your pictures and how clear everything is, its really simple and easy to read and understand! your blog is fab.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I've decided I definitely need that concealer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. really great review!! thanks so much. these have been on my list to try out and im defo gonna try the concealer now =) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LaurenStephanie - Aww thanks hun, I think the same about yours :) I love it!
    @welldressedbeauty + Starsglittermagic - Thanks for the comments lovelies, it is a great concealer :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cant wait to try this, it releases over here in the US next week. where are u from? u got it before us...lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @KayKay - I'm from the UK, I know I was surprised it was available over here first thats never the case haha :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant review Beth! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, I've been looking for a review on this foundation, think I might buy it now to try out!

    Check out my giveaway here!
    http://stylefrost.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review! i had been thinking about these so this really helps!:) might try get these for Christmas :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete